It doesn't quite seem possible that summer is already coming to an end and parents in the Chippewa Valley are preparing their kids to transition back to school. Two of my fondest back-to-school memories are back to school shopping with my mom and sister and of course the first-day-of-school snap shots!
I had the pleasure of taking my soon-to-be first grader back to school shopping this past weekend. We crossed everything off her school list including, the biggest challenge, a new backpack. A challenge indeed! Every single backpack looked HUGE on her! And this Chiro-Mom knows backpacks not only need to be cool but ergonomic. Lots of children injure their backs, neck, and shoulders every year from wearing ill-fitting backpacks incorrectly. So, we went through the frustrating process of finding a backpack that met both my and my daughter's specifications. *WHEW* She'll thank me someday!
Before sending your child back to school, check their backpack. Keep them healthy by following these tips for selecting an ergonomic backpack.
1. The backpack should be proportionate to their body size and not larger than what is really needed.
2. Select a padded backpack made of light weight material with shoulder straps that are at least 2" wide and adjustable.
3. Choose a backpack with several individual pockets to optimize proper weight distribution.
4. Buy a backpack with a sternum or waist strap to help evenly distribute the weight and keep the load from bouncing and shifting when walking (running!) or biking home.
5. Teach your kids to pack it light and wear it right! Make sure they ALWAYS use both straps and show them how to load their bags so the heavier items sit close to their back and the lighter items further out. Backpacks should NEVER exceed 10-15% of the child's body weight!
I hope these tips help! Enjoy your back to school prep and cherish those first day of school pictures. One of my daughter's first-day-of kindergarten pictures included her back to school chiropractic adjustment! That will definitely be a tradition in our house and we hope a back to school tradition for your family too. What better way to send your kids back to school than with their nervous systems firing strong, their brains connected to their body and their immune systems on all systems go... just like them!
Til' next time!
Live Life. Get Adjusted. Be Healthy.
PS. See my daughter's first-day-of-kindergarten adjustment photo below!